Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day






I've never cared all that much about Memorial Day. Every year we had a big family barbeque at my Grandma Wood's. After, we would always go place flowers on graves of family members who had passed away. They all passed away so long ago, I never even met them. Now, this Memorial Day, I will go place flowers on Grandma Wood's grave, and it breaks my heart. I know she is still out there. I know it was just her physical body placed in the ground. But I sure miss her. It has now been three and a half weeks. I miss talking to her. I miss her reading her favorite quotes to me. I miss watching her work on her cross word puzzles, and watching her crochet. I miss her asking, "How is our baby doing?" I miss her calling me a "stupid girl" when she felt I was doing something stupid, and smiling back at me when I would laugh at this. I miss her calling me "stranger" if I went more than a week without seeing her. I miss her total acceptance of me, and telling me, "Be as good as you are. You're good enough already." And, most of all, I miss knowing that she's always there, ready to talk and visit and give advise as only she can. She's no longer just a phone call away. And I have no idea how long it will be before I see her again.






No comments:

Post a Comment